Wall Street sets another record
US markets closed higher yesterday, after President Trump signed the latest $900 billion coronavirus relief package into law. The DJ30, SPX500 and NASDAQ100 all closed at record levels following the news. This morning, futures point to the positive momentum continuing, as leading indices are expected to open higher.
Today’s highlights: 30-year high for Japanese index
- Bitcoin takes a step back: The cryptocurrency market was seen mostly lower over the past 24 hours, as Bitcoin showed a correction, but was still trading well above the $26,000 mark. Some cryptos registered double-digit declines, including XRP, which tumbled more than 15% over the past 24 hours. In contrast, some top 10 cryptos rose by double digits, including Cardano, which was up more than 13% at time of writing.
- Norwegian Air Shuttle lifts off: Stocks of Norwegian Air Shuttle yesterday surged more than 30%. The gains are affiliated to the coronavirus vaccine rollout in the EU, which gives hope for renewed air travel. For the most recent and significant price movements in markets, check out the Market Movers page on eToro.
- Futures contract expiration date: Please note that the China50 futures contract will expire on eToro tomorrow at 6:00 a.m. GMT.
- Important announcement for eToro Club members: Please note that we have made some changes to our market commentary and Adam Vettese will no longer be sharing a Daily Market Analysis. The Daily Updates email, which you are currently reading, will continue to be sent to all clients. We will update regarding new Club-exclusive investment content in the near future.
- Want to add some New Year’s eToro sparkle to your Twitter profile picture? RT this tweet.